Flip Flops

Quilting Possibilities

Quilting Possibilities
Our latest wool bundle - Sunflowers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Trip "Home"

Home again, home again!  We spent last weekend in Gloucester for Courtney and Brian's wedding and seeing family.  It was kind of strange staying at a motel when you go home but with Mom's house sold and Sooky's house overflowing, a hotel it was.

The marshes, Good Harbor Beach and Salt Island
We stayed at the Vista hotel overlooking Good Harbor Beach.  This was the view from our balcony - not too hard to wake up to!  This is one of the most popular beaches in Gloucester and it was PACKED all weekend.









Good Harbor Beach
Jim and I took a walk on Sunday night around sunset to escape the heat.  We used to do that when our oldest son was small and it was so hot.  All the natives head to the beach after supper to cool off.  We didn't have air conditioning back then and my Mom's house and my brother's don't have it either so it was REALLY nice to go back to the air-conditioned hotel room!






My Mom has a line up of pictures in her room.  So we decided that the six of us - my two brothers, sister in laws, Jim and I - needed to take a picture since we were all dressed up, so she could have one of the six of us gussied up.

I went around taking pictures of lobster buoys and pots for a pattern that's rattling around in my head.  My older brother thinks I've lost my mind every time I tell him I'm looking for something.  One year I was looking for portholes I knew were around my mom's somewhere.  When I asked him, the look he gave me was priceless.  I did find them but haven't done anything with that idea yet.  This time I was looking for old buoys, wooden ones.  He had a couple stashed here and there that I took pictures of.   He did tell me where I could find a couple of walls of buoys around town, so I played tourist and held up traffic to take some pictures.  The natives just love when tourists do that . . .

And then of course it was the wedding.  My niece Courtney married her Brian in a gorgeous, simple ceremony on a pretty Saturday afternoon where the weather cooperated and it wasn't 100 degrees in the shade.  It was fun to see them start their lives together, mortify my nephews by singing along with the songs from the 70s the DJ was playing, watch my nieces and nephew be great parents to my great nieces and nephews and dance with Jim to an oldie but goodie.

It was nice to see cousins, brothers, sister in laws, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews and my Mom.  It's true that you don't realize how much you miss home, until you go home and then you have to leave.  Gloucester will always be "home".

No comments: