Flip Flops

Quilting Possibilities

Quilting Possibilities
Our latest wool bundle - Sunflowers

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fall is coming!

One of the first signs of fall for me are the local guilds holding their quilt shows.  I love to drive out to the shows to the west, I pass the sod farms, the Mum farm, the pick your own veggie farms, apple orchards, horse farms, the blueberry farm and the wineries.  All within 45 minutes to an hour of the shore - I'm sure that's not the picture you get when you think of NJ!  But that's my NJ, I live 5 minutes from the ocean and 40 minutes from farmland and in between the two runs the Pinelands, the largest stretch of public owned land on the east coast.  How about that!  Certainly not the picture most non residents get of NJ.  I certainly didn't think so before I moved here.

No color in the trees here yet.  It's coming, I can see hints of yellow in some of the maples but because of the heat and the little bit of rain we had, I don't think it will be a banner year for fall color this year.  Bummer.  We had rain this weekend - lots of rain on Wed night, Thurs and Friday thanks to a tropical storm that blew up the east coast and drenched us.

The show I went to yesterday - Jim is there today - is on the Delaware River in an old mill from the late 1800s.  The ambiance is great - big old beams, wooden floors with cracks you can see the water through!  The Courthouse Quilters Guild does a great job of decorating with mums, cornstalks and pumpkins.  It's just a really nice weekend, if the weather cooperates!

Back view of the mill.  
We've always been downstairs in the mill where the wheel used to turn.  This year we moved to a new section and good thing, they had to move the vendors in the basement up and out because the Delaware River was overflowing and so was the Raritan Canal that runs right outside the mill.









Look at the size of that swan!
I stood on what I think was an old train trestle but is now a gorgeous walking/biking path and took these pictures about 5pm last night.












I also took a video.  Remember, I'm not a professional videotographer. It will give you an idea of just how much it rained.






Till next time.

No comments: