Flip Flops

Quilting Possibilities

Quilting Possibilities
Our latest wool bundle - Sunflowers

Monday, February 15, 2010

Stitchin Time

With this "lovely" weather we're having, I've been sitting in my new recliner stitching away. I found these really nice vintage ornments and ordered all 18 for the shop . . . I was going to do a trunk show and then had the wild and crazy thought that I'd just make them and then I'd have my own samples done. Yes, sometimes I am absolutely, positively out of my ever lovin mind. I have one completely finished, the second one stitched but it needs to be sewn into the ornament and today I totally switched gears and stitched a towel with a baby chick and some flowers on it for spring.





I'm beading my ornaments along with stitching them. I like the glitz that beads add. My friend Sandy gave me a button at quilt market one year that says "Easily Distracted By Bright Shiny Objects" - describes me to a "T"! I love the flash & shine of glitz. But as another friend Lauren, says, there's a fine line between flashy and trashy!





I like to stitch. I've done embroidery since I was small. Both my grandmothers did embroidery, my mom's mom switched over to liquid embroidery when her arthritis got too bad - remember liquid embroidery? They stitched table cloths, bureau scarves, doilies and all kinds of linens. I was probably the only freshmen who went to Unity College in the fall of 75' with an embroidered bureau scarf - there's no probably about it, I definitely was. I still have it some thirty years later. It's a little worse for wear but I remember how proud my Nana was of me when I went off to college that year and I think of her every time I use it.  This is a picture of Grammy, me (look at that hair!) and Nana at my college graduation.  Both were pleased as punch that day and this picture always makes me smile.

I'm hoping that whoever I give these ornaments to, they'll think of me & smile every time they put them on their Christmas tree.  They'll make nice memories I hope and isn't that one of the reasons we stitch?

2 comments:

Teresa Marie said...

I just love these ornaments. They are so pretty. We are alike in the fact that, I, too, love bright, sparkly, and shiny objects, LOL. In fact, the roses my husband gave me for Valentine's Day had sparkly glitter all over them. He knew I'd love them.

Karen M said...

OMG!!! I haven't thought about Tri-Chem Liquid Embroidery in YEARS! What a "hot" new creative tool that was. My Grandmother bought me a set with all the trimmings - I absolutely loved it, and her. She gets most of the credit for making me a creative person.