Flip Flops

Quilting Possibilities

Quilting Possibilities
Our latest wool bundle - Sunflowers

Monday, September 28, 2009

Fall Colors & Projects

Growing up in New England, I was spoiled when it came to fall colors. I grew up with vivid oranges, bright reds, yellows and greens and if you looked real hard, there were definitely purples in there too. The Jersey Shore doesn't have the vivid leaf colors of New England but we do have the orange pumpkins and there's something about those freaky looking gourds that I just like! Fall colors are definitely my favorite colors (my "good" livingroom carpet is a burnt orange . . .)

So I have to limit myself to a couple of fall projects every year & I need to limit the number of orange bolts of fabric I bring in since I seem to like orange much better than most of my customers. This year I found a great brown and green fall leaf print and did up a simple lap quilt showing off the fabric. This quilt will coordinate really well with my "good" (read children not allowed in there when they were growing up) livingroom just like the green and orange one I did last year. I'm going to run out of furniture to put these lap quilts on pretty soon.


I also have too many fall table runners for the number of tables in my house, but that didn't stop me from making this one this year. I saw the fabric and bought multiple bolts. My shopowner friend BrendaLou from Scottie Dog Quilts bought the same fabric and made the same table runner as a sample for her shop - another fall fanatic! I really thought I was making this as a gift for my Mom but somehow I don't think she's going to get it . . .


She's probably not going to get this one either . . .












Judy made this one & I am lusting after it . . . .

There's something about the colors of autumn that just warm me inside. Maybe it's because fall leads up to my favorite holiday - Thanksgiving. I like the garish colors of Halloween too, but those warm, vivid colors of fall just do it for me.
How about you? Are you an fall color fanatic? If so, check out the fall section of our website, we have just the project for you!
Leave a comment on this post before Oct 5th & we'll draw a winner for a fall fat quarter bundle!

24 comments:

Kim said...

I love the log cabin pumpkins :)

softballmom said...

Me too!! I love log cabin anything but the pumpkins are just too cute.

emd1108 said...

I guess it's unanimous...I love the log cabin pumpkins, too

Jerzydeb said...

After reading your blog post this morning - I immediately went to the "good" dining room, dusted off the table, put down the fall table runner I made at a quilt retreat in Michigan a few years ago, arranged some pinecones and pumpkins from outside in a glassbowl, added some cinnamon sticks - now it smells just like fall ! ( I even convinced the kids that $20 each is a fair share for raking all the leaves and pinecones, and picking up all the sticks from the last few weeks of windy days !)

BrendaLou said...

I am loving the runner Judy made too! maybe you get it this year and I get it next year!

Anna Lena Land said...

You can never have too much orange! Loved all the photos in your post. The table runners look great. What an quick and easy way to make your house feel like autumn!

Carin said...

I am so happy that it is finally fall! I love the colors and had the fall decorating in the house done by September 20! My pumpkin wall quilt is hanging in the kitchen and the table runner is on the table. I'm truly loving the log cabin pumpkins and the pumpkin made by Judy.

connie w said...

Love all the fall colors. They are so with the season.

Unknown said...

They are all great, but I also lust after Judy's pumpkin runner. I love the fall colors too, so last month, I designed and made my first runner: oranges, greens, reds and browns. Now it's time to get out the fall decor and put out the pumpkins!

Cindy said...

I love the fall pictures and quilt that you posted. I bought the quilt kit and can't wait to put it together.

Marie said...

Fall colors are the best! The runners are terrific, especially that applique one. But if I were to make one, it would have to be the log cabin one. I adore log cabin blocks!

The Other Barb said...

I have a free day to spend in my sewing room. Afterreading the QP news letter & then looking at your blog...think i'll make a Fall table runner today! Thanks for the motivation.
p.s. I also like the log cabin pumpkins!

Barbara said...

Fall is my favorite time of the year. The colors are so great. I really like your log cabin pumpkins. It has inspired me to go get the fall decorations and start putting them out!

Anya said...

Great giveaway! Thanks for the chance. Lovely table runners.

Teresa Marie said...

Your pictures are stunning! Fall is my very favorite season, and I really missed all the autumn colors the year we lived in Florida. We moved back to NJ in the fall, and the sight of corn stalks in the field warmed my heart!

Unknown said...

I do like fall colors, I like all colors though! But, I do find that fall colors conjure thoughts of all things warm and cozy leading into the winter.

nanseasews said...

Table runners are great...but I love those freaky shaped gourds! They look so "autumn" mixed with the baby pumpkins on my kitchen table. Now, I just need a runner.

Mary Lou Malone said...

I love the touch of blued reds and deep purples that add to the fall colors. My mom is a "fall" in coloring, so she gets rusts, oranges and browns when she decorates. I get to stick in greens to brighten designs, but fall is such a vivid season. I miss it when we don't have one due to droughts, etc. Of course, the fact that my birthday is just before Halloween may also have something to do with my feelings.....

Kathlene said...

Oh, I do so love the fall. And Washington is turning gorgeous as I speak.

Love all the runners. Must choose one to make for our Thanksgiving table. Having company this year.

Your blog is wonderful too. Kathlene

robins said...

I am in Michigan with my husband celebrating his mother's life. She passed on Sept. 28. As we drove from NJ to Michigan, I quietly watched the fall colors become more pronouced. While Michigan is not in full fall regalia, it is further along than NJ. It has helped me decide that fall is truly my favorite season. When I get home on MOnday, my husband and I will be able to get the halloween and fall decoration out of the box. I can't wait.!

Unknown said...

The fall colors are so beautiful, and i just love the log cabins and pumpkins - perfect!

Anonymous said...

Looking at the projects posted has given me a new interest in ORANGE. I have to rethink this color.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Looking at all the fall projects has given me a new appreciation of ORANGE. I have to rethink this color.
Judy

equilter said...

You can't have too many runners-I place them over the backs of chairs, too.
I made my first pumpkin bread of the season this weekend - bring on the holidays!